How to use the Listen function ReadSpeaker
ReadSpeaker allows the text on the website to be read out loud to you. It provides you assistance if you have trouble reading text online. By having the text read out loud to you, you can understand the information on the website more easily. This makes the website more accessible and more pleasant to visit. As a user you don’t have to download anything. You simply click the listen button and the reading starts automatically.
How does it work?
This is what the listen button looks like on this website:
When you click the listen button, a new window will open with a control panel (see image below) and ReadSpeaker automatically starts reading the text of the webpage out loud. You can also select text on a page by highlighting it using your mouse and ReadSpeaker will only read that text.
In the control panel tab "Listen" you can:
- Adjust the volume
- Pause the reading
- Stop the reading
- Restart the reading
- Choose "No sound?" if your browser does not support flash.
- Enable/disable the appearance of the text in a window below the control panel (Show text/Hide text)
If you click on the flash player it will be in focus so that you can control it with the keyboard:
- Play/pause: Space bar
- Stop: Esc key
- Increase volume: Up arrow or the + key of the numeric keypad
- Lower Volume: Down arrow or the – key of the numeric keypad
- Fast forward: Right arrow
- Rewind: Left arrow
- Adjust the reading speed: very low / low / medium / high / very high.
- Choose the sentence highlighting: none / light green / light blue / light yellow / underline.
- Choose the word highlighting: none / light green / light blue / light yellow / underline.
- Choose the text appearance: black on light yellow / black on white / black on light blue / black on light pink / red on light yellow / red on white / red on light blue / blue on light yellow / blue on white / blue on light pink.
- Choose the font size: -1 / normal / +1 / +2 / +3 / +4.
- Choose the font face: Arial / Times / Helvetica / Courier / Comic Sans.
For more information please visit ReadSpeaker's text to speech online site.