Find Your School
Every child enrolling in Black Gold School Division has a designated school. To find your local program/school please visit BGSD’s Bus Planner – School Eligibility Page.
New Student Registration is Processed Online
All new families are asked to register their child online via PowerSchool Enrollment. A paper copy of the registration form is not available.
What is PowerSchool Enrollment?
PowerSchool Enrollment is our online enrolment system. PowerSchool Enrollment replaces annual paper registration packets, saving valuable time. The new system is a secure process that allows the Division to verify all student information for every child prior to the start of the new school year.
Don’t Own a Computer?
- All schools have a kiosk/chromebook available for parents that do not have access to a computer or the internet.
- The PowerSchool Registration program is mobile friendly, meaning that you can use your smartphone to register!
Don’t Own a Scanner?
Bring your supporting documents into the school in order to ensure your registration is complete. Alternatively, there are free Apps that will allow you to scan your documents on the go from your mobile phone or tablet and export them as JPEG or multipage PDF files. Check a few of these out:
Required Documentation Checklist for All Grades
- Birth Certificate
- Verification of residency: document showing parent name and local address.
Legal documentation is required for the following:
- Parental Custody Agreement if restrictions on access
- Guardianship letter if parents live in Alberta – contact school for more information
Legal Guardianship must be applied for through the Alberta Government if parents live outside Alberta – contact school for more information.
School Entrance Age
Pre-Kindergarten programs are for children who are eligible for: Program Unit Funding, Mild/Moderate funding or English as a Second Language. Children must be four (4) years of age as of December 31 of the respective school year for Mild/Moderate funding or English as a Second Language funding, and three (3) years of age as of December 31 of the respective school year for Program Unit Funding.
Children may begin Kindergarten in a school within the Division in September if they are 5 years old as of December 31 of the respective school year.
Children may begin Grade 1 in September if they are six (6) years of age before January of their grade 1 year.
NEW Pre-Kindergarten, Kindergarten or Elementary Students
Families that are registering a NEW PRE-KINDERGARTEN, KINDERGARTEN or ELEMENTARY STUDENT should:
- Register online via PowerSchool Enrollment (You will be redirected to the PowerSchool Enrollment website and you will need to create an account – this is not the same as a PowerSchool Parent Portal account).
NEW Junior or Senior High Students
Families that are registering a NEW JUNIOR or SENIOR HIGH STUDENT should contact their school to:
- Inquire if they need to set up a registration appointment prior to completing the online registration form.
- Inquire what documentation they should bring to the appointment (i.e. most recent report card, high school transcript, a progress report of each course if registering more than one month into school).
- Register online via PowerSchool Enrollment.
Are you registering your child/student for the ONGOING/CURRENT school year (2019 – 2020)?
i.e. use this button if you are new to the area, mid-year and want to register your child in classes for this current school year (2019-2020).
Applying to a School That is Not Your Designated Location?
Should a family wish to enrol their child in a school other than the designated school, the enrolment request will be considered a request to attend a school of choice. Acceptance to a school of choice will be based upon existing BGSD policy and procedures including availability or non-availability of space and resources.
Returning Students or Change of Black Gold Regional School
Students who attended a Black Gold School Division in 2019-2020 and are returning to a Black Gold School in 2020-2021 should not complete a new student registration form. Instead, they could complete an online Student Enrolment Verification Form, through their PowerSchool Parent Portal.
The form will be available prior to September 1, 2020.