This Board Policy has been developed to highlight and support the very
important governance function of the Board. In addition to clearly defining the role of the
Board, the role of the Superintendent and the delegation of authority from the Board to
the Superintendent, it includes the following as policies:
- Foundational statements which provide guidance and direction for all activities
within the Division;
- Directions for how the Board itself is to function and how individual trustees are
to conduct themselves; how Board committees and representatives are to
- Statements as to how appeals and hearings will be conducted;
- Non-delegable matters such as school closures and policy-making; and
- Specific matters which the Board has chosen not to delegate to the
This Board Policy is intended to be supplemented by an Administrative
Procedures Manual; the primary written document by which the Superintendent directs
staff. The Manual must be entirely consistent with these Board Policies.
The development of two separate and distinct documents is meant to reinforce the
distinction in this Division between the Board’s responsibility to govern and the
Superintendent’s executive or administrative duties.
It is to be noted that the electronic versions of both the Board Policy and the
Administrative Procedures Manual as well as any other handbooks/manuals referenced
are always the most current documents available.
Effective January 6, 2013 & Updated June 20, 2018