West End Schools Programming Review
What is the West End Schools Programming Review?
**UPDATE: Administration provided school trustees with an update at their Regular Board Meeting on January 20, 2021. Read the report: West End Review Update January 2021
In order to ensure equity and sustainability in delivering quality education to all students, Black Gold School Division’s West End Schools Programming Review will examine the current state and circumstances surrounding its delivery of elementary programming, transportation and staff deployment in Calmar Elementary School, New Humble Community Centre, Thorsby Elementary and Warburg School.
Following this, secondary programming will be examined in the 2020–2021 school year.
Both quantitative and qualitative data will be compiled and collected by a Working Committee to present to the Board of Trustees of Black Gold School Division. Recommendations may be made to the Board of Trustees as early as January 2020.
The West End Schools Programming Review will continue next year with an in depth look at secondary programming Following the West End, a programming review will continue in the Division’s other geographical regions. Black Gold Regional Division is committed to supporting our core values of: student–focused learning; relationships; supportive environment; passion; and managing resources responsibly.
What Qualitative And Quantitative Data Will Be Examined?
In order to make an informed review, the following quantitative and qualitative data will be reviewed by the Working Committee and the Board of Trustees of Black Gold School Division.
|Quantitative Data||Qualitative Data|
The Working Committee
Members of the working committee include:
- Bernadette Hawkins, Principal, Calmar Elementary School
- Bill Romanchuk, Superintendent, Black Gold School Division
- Calvin Monty Associate Superintendent, Human Resources & Administration, Black Gold School Division
- Carmen Pezderic, Communication Coordinator, Black Gold School Division
- Denise Harrison, Acting Principal, New Humble Centre School
- Norm Dargis, Associate Superintendent, Learning Services, Black Gold School Division
- Raylene Jubinville, Principal, Thorsby Elementary School
- Wendy Maltais, Principal, Warburg School
- April 2019: Funds allocated to West End Schools Programming Review process
- September 2019: BGSD Senior Administration directed to commence the Review
- October – November 2019: Scope of Project Defined
- November – December: Data Collection
- December: Board of Trustees reviews Data: West-End-Schools-Programming-Review-Update-V4
- January: Initial Recommendations (if any) brought to the Board of Trustees West End Review Update January 2021
- January – February: Stakeholder (school community) feedback solicited by BGSD Senior Administration
- March: Final recommendations brought to the Board of Trustees
Are Other School Communities/Areas Being Reviewed?
Following this, the West End Schools Programming Review will continue next year, with an in depth look at secondary programming. Succeeding the West End, a programming review will continue in the Division’s other geographical regions ensuring quality education is being delivered across the Division.
Do The School Communities Get To Provide Any Input?
As a valued partner in education, the Board of Trustees of Black Gold School Division will be engaging parents/guardians, staff/teachers and other members of the community to help define the future education framework in the West End schools. Please stay tuned regarding future announcements about opportunities for participation.
Historical Information and Events
- October 16, 2017: Alberta School Board Elections: two returning Trustees and five first term Trustees are elected to the Board of Trustees of Black Gold School Division.
- March 7, 2018: 10 Year Facility Plan and Three Year Capital Plan prepared by external consultants was presented to the Board of Trustees and included information or recommendations on select West End schools.
- 2019 – 2020 Spring Budget Process: Board of Trustees provide direction and budget to Administration to do a review of the west end schools that examines the equity and sustainability of program delivery, transportation and staff deployment.
- The Board of Trustees appointed William Romanchuk as the Superintendent of Schools/CEO effective July 1, 2019.
- September 11, 2019: Regular Board Meeting: Board of Trustees direct Superintendent Romanchuk and Administration to enter into a West End Schools Programming Review.
- October 16, 2019: Regular Board Meeting: The review of elementary schools will be done first followed by the secondary schools. Administration will look at trends, administrative procedures and policies, and will have a recommendation to the Board.
- November 27, 2019: Superintendent Romanchuk presented the West-End-Schools-Programming-Review-Update-V4 report at the Board Planning Session and the regular board meeting in November.