We Are Really “Diggin” Our Progress!
Black Gold Regional Division No. 18 is continuing to grow and modernize at an aggressive rate and is proud of the progress being made. There has been substantial development on all of the current construction projects, which has made for an exceptionally busy school year.
Below is a summary of the latest developments, so you can “dig” our progress as much as we do!
Calmar Secondary School Modernization & Addition
On April 21, 2017 Calmar Secondary School hosted its official grand re-opening celebration. Every classroom in the school has been fully renovated and modernized after being brought back to brick and mortar. Black Gold’s Facilities Department is now in the process of finishing off seasonal deficiencies, including landscaping and hard surfacing but the students have been able to enjoy their new school for months now!
Some highlights of the modernization include:
- A redesigned Library/ Student Learning Commons that incorporates the existing atrium and skylight allowing for plenty of natural light, lots of plug-ins and writing space.
- An enhanced Foods Lab with a digital projector and six completely redesigned student workstations.
- An upgraded Machining/Wood Shop, equipped with top-of-the-line equipment.
- An updated Drama Room, a well-equipped Food Service Area next to the new student gathering space and a modernized Administrative Suite for principals, secretaries and staff to work in.
- A new Fitness Room accessible to all members of the community to help improve their health and fitness.
Location: 49th Street, Calmar, Alberta
Builder: Krawford Construction
Scheduled Completion: Completed with minor deficiencies to finalize.
École Champs Vallée School – NEW School Build
Work on our soon to be 32nd school, École Champs Vallée School (ECVS), has been in full swing ever since last year’s June groundbreaking ceremony. The 7849m2 Grades K – 9 school is located in the Four Seasons neighbourhood in Beaumont and will be a full 900 student capacity build. This is a welcomed addition of much-needed space for a community growing at an exponential rate.
Construction activities currently underway include:
- Exterior hard surfacing is in progress
- Interior masonry walls are in progress
- Modulars are on site
- Majority of the floors have been polished
- Exterior glazing is in progress
The coming weeks will see work progressing on:
- Roofing will be complete in 1 month
School within a School
Classes at the new school will begin on September 5, 2017 and be hosted at École Bellevue School as a “school within a school” until ÉCVS is ready for student occupancy. New staff, including Principal/Directeur Patrick Gamache-Hutchison and Assistant Principal Erik Larson have already been placed and are responding well to the needs of the new school and students. During the “school within a school” phase students will be grouped in cohort classes with their ÉCVS classmates and teachers will help to create consistency and facilitate a smooth transition.
- Boundary and Grade Configurations
- New Student Registration (Students already registered in Black Gold Regional Schools and living in the new attendance boundary will be automatically transferred to attend the new school and are not required to re-register)
Location: Four Seasons, Beaumont, Alberta
Builder: Johnston Builders Ltd.
Scheduled Completion: Estimated Late 2017 to Early 2018
École J.E. Lapointe School Major Modernization & Addition
The modernization goals of École J.E. Lapointe continue to progress! The $19.3M modernization and addition was recently awarded to general contractor Jen-Col Construction. As well, a construction start up meeting was held in May, where details regarding the project have been reviewed. In the end, this capital project will provide a refreshed education environment that fully supports the current educational programming and community values. This will also be the first school in Black Gold to receive solar panels.
The coming weeks will see work progressing on:
- Site mobilization will happen in the next few weeks, with Phase #1 starting in the beginning of July.
What to expect:
- Appropriate demolition of portables
- Repurpose existing gymnasium into CTS spaces
- A new gymnasium c/w change rooms
- New modulars to adhere with Alberta Infrastructures area recommendations
- A State-of-the-Art Student Learning Commons
- Flexible Student Gathering Space
- Updated Labs for Foods & Fashions and Construction & Fabrication
- Modern Music, Art and Drama Rooms
- Dedicated Science Labs
- A Solar Panel Power System
Location: 55 Avenue, Beaumont, Alberta
Builder: Jen-Col Construction
Scheduled Completion: Estimated August 1, 2019.
East Elementary School, École Beau Meadow School, Robina Baker Elementary School and West Haven Public School Modular Additions
The Division received Alberta Education approval for the addition, and or replacement, of 13 modulars (12 classrooms and one washroom unit) this summer. The Board also approved funding to provide modular links to keep students out of the elements.
What to expect:
- Site mobilization will be happening on all sites before the end of the school year.
Builders: Kemway Builders Inc. (EES, EBMS, RBES) and Uniglobe Construction (WHPS)
Scheduled Completion: August 31, 2017
West Haven Public School Now Open
West Haven Public School, our newest caring, welcoming learning environment, officially opened its doors to students for the first time on September 1, this year. The official grand opening ceremony followed on October 21. The school has since then been featured in Award (an architecture, design and construction magazine) and is currently home to 440 students. New modulars, being installed this summer, will bring the school’s student capacity to 700 students. There are 533 students anticipated to attend next year.
Location: West Haven Drive, Leduc, Alberta
Builder: Graham Construction
Scheduled Completion: Completed!
The Division and its Facilities Department thanks all the staff, parents and guardians, volunteers and community partners who have been accommodating and patient through various construction and modernization phases. It is a privilege to be in a growing and modernizing Division.